Sturgis countdown generator

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Lake Grapevine Getaway

Lake Grapevine Getaway
6/22/12 – 6/24/12

 
View from our campsite

Friday 6/22/12 – I arrived at home at 7 from the Dart train station and we left the house around 7:15 – best time ever to hit the road.  I am getting better about getting organized so John can also load my stuff.

Someone had called John to give him the code to the gate since we had not arrived and they were making sure we were coming.  We finally arrived at Vineyard Campgrounds in Grapevine at 8:15.  Luckily there was someone still there and the gates were open for check-in.  They usually close their gates at 7p but they were still at their guard house when we arrived.  We were glad they were so we would know exactly where to go, although John had a pretty good idea.

We got our hoop-ups attached - like water, electricity and even sewer.  We unloaded the trailer and set up our campsite before it got dark.  Luckily on this trip we didn’t have far to go camp, unlike most of the others.

This is one of the nicer campsites we have been to, but should be for what they charge.  It is more park-like than camping.  Our site was right on the water.  The back of our trailer was facing the water.  We were in a cove which meant there was not as much traffic on the lake where we were at.

 We rode the bike to Wilhoitte’s around 9:15 to see Sabrina & Gypsy Bleu since that was our main reason to camp in Grapevine.  We wanted to visit a different club and do something different.  It was a nice night for a ride.  The street was packed for parking.  We had to circle the block and finally found parking as another biker was leaving.
Day shot of Willhoite's
Once we went inside we ran into Dwight on of our social buds from Bullwinkles.  It is not surprising seeing him here since this closer to his neck of the woods.  Mike, Sabrina’s boyfriends and John’s friend was also there, of course.  We had thought Mike wouldn’t be in till tomorrow but he made it tonight.  We didn’t get to talk to Sabrina much since she was busy socializing with her other friends /groupies. 

While we were there watching the band we also grabbed an appetizer since we hadn’t had dinner.  We left around 11p since we were on the bike and didn’t want to drink too much.  Amazing, my gin & tonic was cheaper than John’s beer.

We got back to the trailer at 11:15.  Long ride from Willhoit’s.  haha.  Once back to the trailer we pretty much headed to bed since we had a big day of riding ahead of us tomorrow and going to see Sabrina again at Willhoit’s that night.


Saturday 6/23/12 – We woke at 8am, an hour before my alarm was to go off and BJ for John.  We finally rolled out of bed around 9.

We actually showered in our own shower since we had running water for it.  I like camp showers usually, but it is also nice to shower in our own shower where all our toiletries are and we don’t have to carry everything to another shower.

We sat outside for an hour with our Bloody Marys to start our day before I made breakfast.  It was nice just sitting outside doing nothing and enjoying the breeze off of the lake.  It is hard to get energetic when you are camping.  Camping and campers move at a slower pace; there is no reason to get in any hurry.  You get out to camp to relax and escape the fast paced city life.

Around 10 I finally got up to fix breakfast.  ­­­­­­­­­­­­­I fixed my specialty, fried bacon and a perfect omelet usually stuffed with cheese and any leftovers worthy of being added to an omelet.  It could be meat, potatoes, mushrooms, etc.  I use anything that I can so I don’t have to waste it.

We left at noon (heat of the day) for Weatherford.  Below is our route starting at downtown Grapevine and ending on the edge of Weatherford at The Malt Shop (also, see map for route).  We also made a side stop to see John’s brother in Colleyville. 

 


John bought the coolest biker gnome while there.  It was the female version.  I wished we had room in the saddle bag for the male version.  Maybe next time if they continue to carry them we will get the biker guy.  They have all sorts of cool stuff.  They have stuff to make your own beer and wine.  One day I swear I am going to at least get the makings to make my own wine.  It looks like it would be fun.  I remember as a teen my uncle making dandelion wine.  Wow was that stuff stout!  Now how in the world do you get enough dandelions to make wine?  I may have to ponder that one.  They also carry other cool stuff like biscuits for dogs, pet food, shampoo and conditioner for horses, and chimes to name a few.

John's new girlfriend

Trip to Weatherford and back:
   Hwy 26
Colleyville
Richland Hills
Haltom City
Fort Worth
Downtown Fort Worth

Sansom Park
Lake Worth
Lakeside

Wildflowers along the road

DRD Machine - Bike Shop prior to Weatherford
Weatherford 
Back Home – same, just in reverse.

We had stopped at The Malt Shop in Weatherford (2038 Fort Worth Hwy, 817-594-2524).  One of John’s co-workers or maybe it was someone else had told him about it and it was worth the stop.  Apparently I didn’t see what they saw.  It was a 50-year old drive-in, and only a picnic table to sit at with porta-potties on the outside.  I will say the malt was good but not what I really needed to quench my thirst.  John drank most of the malt while I had ice water.  Now that was what I needed!  Ahhhh.  
Malt Shop Weatherford, TX

The drive-in is still very much like it may have been in the 50’s with its pink and silver exterior.  They are known for their malts and have over 10 flavors and the ice cream is home made.  This is a family owned operation.  I hear if you want speedy service this is not the place to go, but if you want good food definitely pay them a visit.  After our malt we headed back to Grapevine.

We stopped at Wal-Mart in Fort Worth for a longer gray water hose.   The one was we have now is only 10 feet, where the new one is 20 feet.  This will come in quite handy next time we cannot get parked close enough to the gray water depots that are at the trailer spots, not the dump stations.

 We returned home around 6. I was so ready to be home.  It was a very warm day for riding, okay I take that back, it was a hot day and it didn’t help having all the traffic light stops along the way.  I was so glad once we got out of town.  The high was 97*. 

Once back at our campsite we sat outside to relax and feed the ducks that had come in to see if anyone had any scraps.  I fed the local ducks a flour tortilla.  It was a male and a female and they got very close to us and the trailer. I couldn’t touch them, but close.

We nixed going to see Sabrina again.  It wasn’t worth the trip and we were exhausted from the heat.  We were ready to relax.  We finally got around to fixing and eating dinner at 9:45.  We had Ham steaks, potatoes grilled in bacon and seasoning, with peas & corn.


Sunday 6/24/12 - I woke at 7:50 this morning.  Darned window in the door woke me up.  I am going to have to do something about that window, but then again it gives me plenty of opportunity to enjoy the time I have camping.

We showered around 9 and then after getting fully dressed we went outside with our Bloody Marys and lounged a bit enjoying the serenity.  Shortly after I fixed breakfast an Omelet with last night’s leftovers of ham and grilled red potatoes.  Yum what a great way to use up leftovers.

We started packing up everything around noon time since checkout time is 1:30p.  We left the premises at 12:45.  We stopped by their bathroom facilities on our way out.  Good thing we had our own bathroom facility.  There was only 1 shower each and 2 toilets that weren’t that great either.  As nice as the facility is I am surprised their bathrooms weren’t nicer.  Personally I thought it was sorta nasty for what you pay as an RVer to camp there.  There are also tent campers there and I truly feel for them having to use this shower facility.  Hopefully the facility closer to the entrance is better.  We got home around 2 and unloaded everything

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave a comment